The Núcleo de Estudos de População (NEPO) is a unit of interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary research in the area of Demography and Population Studies, linked to the central administration of the University of Campinas (Unicamp). Created by administration decision GR 28 of May 25, 1982, it was consolidated on November 27, 1991 by deliberation of the University Council (Consu). NEPO was formed by recruiting professionals specialized in various areas of population studies, with emphasis in Social Sciences. It is directed by the following organs: Coordinator and Assistant Coordinator, a Consultative and a Scientific Council. It also has an administrative and technical support structure which includes a Documentation Center, a Data-Processing Unit and secretarial support services. NEPO`s performance is evaluated every two years by the University’s Commission of Interdisciplinary Activities and by the University Council, with the help of external referees.
ObjectivesThe objectives established for the Núcleo de Estudos de População are as follows:
- Production and publication of relevant information in the areas of Population Studies and Demography from an interdisciplinary perspective;
- Implementation and development of research in important thematic areas on population, the results of which can serve directly and indirectly as subsidies to the work of governmental organs, whether at federal, state or municipal levels;
- Cooperation with other Units of Unicamp and/or with other academic and research institutions in Brazil or abroad;
- Interchange between the scientific community and society through participation in seminars, lectures, conferences and services;
- Development of human resources for research, both by incorporating students in research teams and through formal academic programs.